Re: [OM] I hope it's the beginning of a trend

Subject: Re: [OM] I hope it's the beginning of a trend
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 11:26:51 -0700
AS wrote:
> Canon rumors mentions a 7D. Canon introduced 6 new cameras, including the
> G11. With the G11 they added an tilt/swivel screen but downgraded the
> megapixels to 10 (compared to 15 in the G10).

But? BUT?

The pixel decrease is the best news to come down the pike in years!!!
Some of us have been watching in disconcerted amazement as camera makers
have followed the megapixel madness race right past optimal IQ and into
actual decline in the quality of images their cameras can make.

The G10 is a poster child for that path. It has only two significant
changes from the G9, change from a 6x zoom starting at 35mm to 5x @ 28mm
and a worse than useless increase in MP.

Meantime, Panny can't keep up with demand for the 10MP LX3.

The 12 MP G9/A650 sensor was right at the edge. Shooting RAW and with
careful processing, it barely beat the F30/31 @ ISO 100-200 when
downsized to 6MP. The G10 actually got worse. Assuming Canon haven't
lost their touch, a 10 MP sensor with their latest technology should be
excellent.

I've been trying hard to convince myself that some version of the µ4/3
system would serve my desire for something small enough for pocket/belt
carry with good IQ. In my heart, though, I know it'll never work with
interchangeable lenses sticking out. If it ends up around my neck or in
a bag, there's no point.

Canon may have solved my problem. The Panny LX3 is a super camera, but I
know some thing about myself; while 24mm is nice, I'd never be happy
with the limited long end.

The S90 also looks good. The same sensor system in a smaller body with
slightly shorter zoom, no hot shoe or optical finder. Oddly enough, to
some of you, I'd prefer that the G11 not have an optical finder. I've
been using the A650 for 18 months now, and probably haven't used the
optical finder in 17, so losing the extra body height it requires would
be good for me.

I find the articulated finder endlessly useful and find it hard to
imagine using a pocket/belt camera without one. Canon has managed to
include it in the G11 with only a tiny size penalty.

Moose