[OM] The rule of 600, was: LV vs. EV and low light metering

Subject: [OM] The rule of 600, was: LV vs. EV and low light metering
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 18:49:15 -0400
Despite the amount of time I spent with telescope (and sometimes scope
and camera) in the late 60s and early 70s I never until today learned
the "rule of 600" which states that, in order to keep stars from forming
a trail, the exposure in seconds can't be longer than 600/focal length.
  So, with my new bit of knowledge I can guess that the exposure below
was probably not longer than about 50 seconds.  But I guess that
probably for the celestial equator so maybe Ursa Major can stretch the rule.

Confusing to me was a statement that the "rule of 600" was independent
of format and dependent only on focal length.  That didn't make any
sense to me since small formats typically get enlarged more than large
formats and any apparent motion would be magnified accordingly.  Was
that bum information?  If not can someone explain?

Chuck Norcutt