Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 23/08/2009: hard-working vendor

Subject: Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 23/08/2009: hard-working vendor
From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 07:12:35 +0200
He sure has (seen it all before), yes.

A response to some of the other comments: yes, I am actually
interested in the vendors, and you may not believe me, but it really
was a coincidence that this guy was next to an attractive woman.

I am interested in these people, and will at some point attempt to
establish some contact beyond just snapping a photo. These are the
people we read about in newspapers with headlines such as "Another 100
African refugees in rickey boat rescued off the Canary Islands".
Selling stuff like this (not only on the beach but also on the
downtown promenade, and for smaller items like watches and DVDs, also
in bars) is the first step on the social ladder. There was a story on
a DVD vendor in the local paper last year, he said that on a typical
day he made 30 Euros--not big bucks but enough to live on. The stuff
they sell is bought wholesale from Chinese merchants. People are
largely sympathetic towards them (perhaps because people remember that
just a generation ago many Spaniards would go to northern Europe in
search of a better life), and the bar owners for example, have no
objections to them entering their bars and offering the stuff to the
patrons. They do not use aggressive sales tactics at all--they ask,
once, and that's it.

In addition to these vendors, there are also people walking around
with a cooler selling drinks, and those people are always local for
some reason. The prices are not bad, €2 for a can of beer, but having
it brought to you, ice-cold, right on the beach, is certainly worth
paying for. There are also some Chinese women walking around with a
picture of a spine and offering massage. Yesterday I did see them
score two hits near our roasting perch.

In any event, thanks for looking to everyone!

Nathan

Nathan Wajsman
Alicante, Spain
http://www.frozenlight.eu