Re: [OM] Digicam for the ages (was "Nathan's PAW 32: beach, wine, cyclin

Subject: Re: [OM] Digicam for the ages (was "Nathan's PAW 32: beach, wine, cyclin
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 22:42:52 -0500
On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 6:22 PM, <usher99@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> In a previous post, my theory (otherwise known as a WAG--wild assed
> guess)  was that part of the perceived difference in Pol effects  circ
> vs linear was due to differential effects on color balance.  The
> extinction coeff. of the pol materials vary by wavelenght, thus the
> cooling effect.  The quarter wave retarder in the Circ Pol also has an
> effect on color balance-rewarming it a bit.   This depends on brand
> etc.  Remember Chuck's Pol quality tests?

Yes, and I've wondered if what I'm seeing is just a disagreeable
incompatibility between my Hoyas and my E sensorsl  The only other
circ pol I've got is a thin B&W circ pol in 49mm.  It's a bit more of
a standout on Chuck's list, whereas the Hoyas are not nearly as good,
apparently.  Get what you pay for I guess.

>These color balance shifts
> would  have different effects on the sensor depending on their
> construction/software as well as different films of course with the
> different spectral sensitivities.  I can't see how the pol effect per
> se would vary film to digital.  Thus perhaps the perceived differential
> pol effect on an E1 vs film  is a color balance issue.
> The "digital Pol"  is  largely a marketing ploy, but they likely
> multicoat the rear surface to reduce flare--more of a problem with
> reflective sensors.  Whether it matters, I don't know.
> Perhaps you'll figure it out.  Wish I were closer.

Me too.  Geez, I rarely get out of my own county.

> http://www.clarkvision.com/photoinfo/evaluating_polarizing_filters/

Thanks for the link, Mike.

Joel W.