Re: [OM] FS/FT Manfrotto 3265 Grip Action Ball head

Subject: Re: [OM] FS/FT Manfrotto 3265 Grip Action Ball head
From: "Larry G. Griffin" <lggriffin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 18:34:49 -0700

Moose wrote:
> Larry G. Griffin wrote:
>
>> It looks like a pistol grip.
>>

> I tried one of these years ago in a shop. I didn't like it much. The ge
> distance from camera to fulcrum point was weird. Put the camra over to
> the side for vertical format and it's way off balance.

I seldom use vertical format. Think I'd be more inclined to remove the
camera from the head.
>> I don't have the owners manual. Going by the lens direction on the quick
>> release plate, it's 90 degrees away from being a true pistol grip. IMO I'm
>> going to use it till I find a replacement. I'll try it as a "pistol grip",
>> which would make it a tad less cumbersome.
>>

> The newer Manfrotto 322rc2 Ali mentioned looks like a much better design.

It is a better design and in that regards a precursor of whats to come.
I like ability to use it horizontally, but I also  noticed that  it put
the camera off the column axis.   I'm not sure how that would work out.
I do like being able to add a shutter release. :)

Considering new designs I looked at the  Modo (785HB) a photo and Video
tripod. I don't like the number of extensions per leg. It also has a
horizontal grip, unfortunately IMO it limits the tripod to be way less
than eye level to use it comfortably, but. Thinking of recent topics
after the intro of the EP-1. The lack of a VF might make bringing a
camera to eye level that unpleasant. Though I don't think I want to bend
over all day taking pictures. I would like the grip with more curve, or
adjustable angle, and a shutter release. Not too mention an improved tripod.
>> I'm going to look for something besides the 3025, but won't know till I get
>> my hands on it.
>>

> The 3025 is an odd design. I got one after seeing how it worked as part
> of Walt's down on the ground macro set up. It will do angles other heads
> won't, but isn't very practical, to me, for ordinary use. Let a knob be
> loose and the camera/lens are suddenly dangling.

My needs right now are minimal. Pan and elevate were all I used. Being
able to do angles maybe required. Where I'm shooting has steep banks and
I may have to get closer to the water.. Loose knobs, I don't smoke
around the camera. :)