Re: [OM] T45 for $200?

Subject: Re: [OM] T45 for $200?
From: Robert Burnette <r.burnette@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 17:05:26 -0400
Nope. it's gone. I bought it. Be glad you didn't get it. It had significant
corrosion on the terminals in the T45 battery compartment. When I called
attention to it, the seller said that he had sold the unit for a friend and had
no idea that there was anything wrong with it. He apologized profusely...in
several e-mails. The actual owner could care less. The seller must not have
removed the battery from the flash. There is no way anyone could have missed
that much corrosion.

Getting to the terminals to clean them completely would require partially
dismantling the flash unit, but I managed to remove most of the corrosion with
a long bladed screwdriver and contact cleaner spray. I could not get it as
clean as I wanted (i.e. under the bend of the terminals), but I'm not about to
tackle disassembling the T45. The charger terminals also had a bit of corrosion
so I disassembled the charger and cleaned the terminals. After cleaning those
and applying contact cleaner to the battery terminals, the battery charges and
operates the T45 just fine. I have no idea how complete a charge it takes and
how many flashes to expect from a charge. As John H. said in one post, all T45
batteries are old (unless replaced) and sooner or later it will require a
battery pack rebuild. However, the T45 works great with an SP Systems power
pack. So...all in all it was a very good buy, just a PITA to clean. It was
another reminder as to why I prefer obay to Craig's list.

I can see why Ken likes the T45. It is a powerhouse. It has two stacked flash
elements in the head. They look similar to the one in a T32. When the flash
goes off it seems bright enough to use for spotting enemy aircraft.  ;o)  It is
a huge and massive flash assembly. It makes one think it should be attached to
a Crown Graphic 4X5, rather than a diminutive OM-4 or 4Ti. The T32 is like a
sports car, but the T45 is like an army tank. There's little doubt that it will
get the job done.

If you can get a T45, battery and charger in good shape for $200, George,
that's a pretty good buy. The battery packs are going to become hard to find.
One obay seller wants $149.00 for the battery pack alone. He claims it is new,
but it is still an old battery pack. The connector cords are a bit harder to
come by. One needs a TTL Auto Cord T2 (0.10m) for the camera to flash bracket
connection or a TTL Auto Cord T2 (0.15m) for the camera to flash bracket
connection with Winder attached. These are the most compact connector cords for
the combination.

Robert