Re: [OM] Studio RAW processing was Re: Week 35 - Few Fotos for FUN

Subject: Re: [OM] Studio RAW processing was Re: Week 35 - Few Fotos for FUN
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 21:30:22 -0700
Chris Barker wrote:
> I don't think that the reds are different, just the distribution of light
> values (does that make sense? am I displaying too much ignorance here? :-)).

Yes, it makes sense, and is what I see as well. I downloaded them all,
downsized the studio one to the Aperture size and overlaid them so I can
flip back and forth. It appears to me that the colors are the same , but
with a different curve. The Studio rendition is certainly more pleasing.

I don't think that's surprising, especially if the default of
reproducing the camera settings was chosen in Studio. There's no way
Aperture is going to read and know how to interpret all the individual
camera settings of all the RAW files it supports.

ACR is the same, using its own defaults for most settings. A 5D image
processed from RAW with default settings in both Canon's converter, DPP,
and ACR are sometimes quite a bit different.

One example may be sharpening. The downsized Studio image is much
sharper than the Aperture image, I suspect because it reproduced the
camera sharpening setting, while Aperture chose to use minimal
sharpening as its default. Intellisharpen II on the Aperture version can
make the sharpeness the same, although they look subtly different on the
sticker text.

I find the adjusted Aperture version inferior to either of the others.
The red channel has been clipped in the red regions, changing the color
significantly and obscuring detail in the bright reds. As you say, there
are other ways to adjust them closer to the same tonal curve without
blocking up the red highlights.

Moose