Re: [OM] 7D review

Subject: Re: [OM] 7D review
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2009 14:06:22 -0700
Ws wrote:
> Moose and AG wrote:

>>> Actually, I'm not overly critical of the interface other than I'm a little
>>> bitter that the grip shape causes my wrists distress.
>>>
>> I was aware of that, as we have talked about it before. I just wanted to
>> clarify where your objection is. It's very personal and will vary with
>> individual body. I'm happy carrying my Canons for long periods without
>> any trouble from my hand. The hand strap I use on the 5D (sort of like
>> the Oly Grip Strap) makes it even better. It can just hang from my hand,
>> arm dangling, for ages without any tension, then be at my eye in an
>> instant. I don't know if that would help you or not.
>>

> And I have contributed my banter on this issue and will bore
> everyone with some more observations...
>
> I concur with Ken on the grip issue. It is noticeable when I switched
> between an E-1 and a 5D. I also wrap my strap in such a way
> I can let it hang from my hand just fine.

It seems you may have mis-read what I said. I don't wrap a regular strap
around my hand and/or wrist. I find that quite awkward. What I use is a
grip strap, very similar to the Oly Grip Strap for the Power Bounce Grip
2, Motor Drives and Winders.

There are several inexpensive variants from China on the 'Bay. This is
similar to what I use. <http://tinyurl.com/gripstrap>

I have no idea whether it would help you, but it is quite different in
feel and use from what you describe.

> I suspect that my grip, where the index finger has to be pulled back to
> operate the shutter release, creates tension between the other fingers
> gripping the camera.

I've never really thought about the details, so I got the camera out and
wandered about with it in hand a bit. It turns out I have two different
ways of holding it.

- With my hand fully inserted through the grip, so the pad rests on the
back of it. This does require drawing the index finger back to operate
the shutter  with its tip. The advantage is that I can easily reach the
adjustment buttons on top of the body.

Occasionally in that position, I operate the shutter with the pad one in
from the end of the finger, that is, the intermediate phalange.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distal_phalanges> Although it works it
feels weird.

- With the pad of the grip across my metacarpals and the lower right
corner of the body resting in the bottom of my palm. That puts the tip
of my index finger right over the shutter release. Interesting; until I
paid attention just now, I didn't realize that I am often partially
supporting the camera in shooting position with the palm of my hand.

Moose