Re: [OM] Open source camera?

Subject: Re: [OM] Open source camera?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2009 23:05:07 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Just what I wanted.  A $1000, programmable Linux machine with a cell phone
> sensor. What's wrong with this picture?

Same thing that was wrong with the Xerox Parc work on computer
interfaces. It's purely an academic project. As with Apple and the PARC
developed mouse and GUI, at some point in its development, somebody will
atke the ideas and make a proctical commercial device out of them - or not.

I guess one might say the point of such an exercise is to develop ideas
until they either prove to be useful or fail to do so.

I like the contrast to the CHDK community. Nobody gets paid a Stanford
double professor's salary - nobody gets paid at all. Yet they have
created programmable control for the sensor systems in real, highly
capable cameras that cost a lot less than $1,000 and are usable for real
work. Of course, it's not really open source, or perhaps one might call
it an open source graft onto proprietary equipment.

In any case, it enables all the functions the Stanford project aims at,
and probably some they haven't thought of yet, and has been doing so for
years.

Moose