Re: [OM] 3D image experiment

Subject: Re: [OM] 3D image experiment
From: "C.H.Ling" <ch_photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2009 19:20:10 +0800
----- Original Message -----
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban" <zuiko21@xxxxxxxxx>

>>Red/cyan glasses required, don't know if everyone can see the effect well.
>

> Very nice indeed! I do have the required glasses, and the effect is
> excellent.

Thanks for looking Carlos, even though we use the same glasses and monitor,
my young son didn't see the 3-D effect very well so I have the question. Me,
my wife and our elder son see a clear 3-D effect but my young son does not
have color deficiency.

> From: "C.H.Ling" <ch_photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>>Mike, you are right about the color, I'm still learning, I have used
>>Dubois
>>mode in StereoPhoto Maker which makes the stereo effect cleaner but also
>>changed the color. Here is an image in normal red/cyan mode:
>
>>http://www.accura.com.hk/temp/PX/P9034884_15As.html
>

> Very nice again. A bit less comfortable to see, but with great effect and
> nice colour. I think this red/cyand technique work best with monochrome
> images.

Yes, I also think so.

>>I think the best way of viewing 3D image is 3D slider viewer, the color
>>will not be affected and retain a high resolution but it need additional
>>investment and not able to share in the net.
>

> It's easy... with slide film. I used a couple of cheap "backlit viewers"
> (don't know the proper English word for that) centered manually. Works
> fine!
> In the future, I plan to use a couple of slide projectors, with polarizer
> filters rotated 90º between them -- with the proper glasses (I believe
> it's
> the standard on theatres) should be impressive!

I may try to find a 3-D slide viewer you mentoned but than I have to
shoot slide 'again' or 'print' the digital images to slide with my slider
recorder.

Polarized projection must be great, I have seen the 3-D movie in Disneyland,
it was very nice! I belive polarized 3-D slide projector will be rather
complicated, don't know if it is difficult to align the slides.

> Now, speaking of 3D... I'd love to make some more again! I have a "twin
> camera support bar" which was never intended for 3D, but I used in
> astro-phoography. I understand both cameras should have the same
> form-factor
> in order to avoid slight differences in POV (vertically, I mean). About
> the
> lenses, they should be identical -- not only brand, "nominal" focal length
> and model, but also optical formulation (it may vary along production,
> changing _actual_ focal length). Since I won't be shooting fast moving
> subjects, perfect sync is not a critical issue for me -- pressing both
> releases with two fingers would suffice.

I will restrict myself to still objects so only one camera, a focusing rail
and a tripod is enough :-) Otherwise, I also have a double cable release,
may be good for non very fast moving objects.

C.H.Ling