[OM] Cleaning a 12-60mm

Subject: [OM] Cleaning a 12-60mm
From: Stephen Walker <stephenpwalker@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2009 13:50:45 -0700 (PDT)
I don't post much to the list anymore (All I have left of my OM stuff is an
OM-1 and a 50mm packed away somewhere), and I apologize for the non-OM content
here but I always found this was the best place to come for serious advice. ;)

I have a second-hand 12-60mm with a little flake of something on the back of
the front element group.  It was quite a bit off-center and I had decided it
wasn't a big enough deal to worry about but then I got the bright idea that if
I moved the zoom ring fast enough it might create enough turbulence inside the
lens to dislodge the flake.  The good news is that it worked!  The bad news is
also that it worked -- now instead of being towards the outside of the front
element it is smack-dab in the center of it!!!! :( And now, of course, I can't
get it to move again.

I would try to put it back on the e-bay seller I got it from but honestly I got
such a great deal on the outfit I can't complain.  If it weren't for the fact
that I plan on re-selling this lens (I already have a 12-60mm) I might just
live with it, although it would annoy the heck out of me.

I guess I've got nothing to lose by contacting Olympus next week to see about
getting it cleaned, but I wonder how much it will cost or if they would do it
at no charge since this little flake of something didn't get there on it's own.
 It's much bigger than your average dust speck, and has a slightly metallic
look (although it's tough to conclude that with the multi-coated surfaces i'm
looking through.

Would I be completely nuts to remove the front element and clean it myself?
I've done so in the past, most recently with a Panasonic/Leica 14-50mm -- pry
off the glued-down front ring revealing screws that hold down the front
element.  But, the 12-60 looks to be built with closer tolerances and i'm not
sure if it's constructed the same way, especially being weather-sealed and all.

Regards,

Steve