Re: [OM] [OT] Some flowers from Monet's garden, Giverny

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Some flowers from Monet's garden, Giverny
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2009 13:23:34 -0700
Philippe Amard wrote:
> http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/jez.cunningham/MonetSGardenGiverny?feat=email#slideshow/5379066672414746530
> Probably the best in Monet's spirit and eyesight - yes he had problems -
> later solved -  as his paintings show.

I too thought it caught the spirit of many of Monet's garden paintings
from the poor vision period.  As a nitpick, though, I doubt if Monet saw
OOF highlights with hard, brightish edges. I tried softening those
edges.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Others/Jez/Giverny&image=DSC_2049aia.jpg>

Bokeh is this series of images is an interesting thing. Some beautiful
and soft, some much too edgy for my taste. A factor of mixed focal
lengths and subject/background distances, I suppose.

I was lucky a couple of years ago to see an exhibit called Monet in
Normandy. Although I've seen quite a few of his paintings over the
years, this was the first showing a time longitudinal series of
paintings from the same areas. Quite interesting as his technique
matured over a time period where his vision changed.

Moose