Re: [OM] Leica wedding questions

Subject: Re: [OM] Leica wedding questions
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 09:15:25 -0500

> IMNSHO, using a Leica as a sales/marketing tool is irrelevant to weddings.

Honestly, I tend to agree with you entirely. The exception would be for
those who specifically cater to the "Carriage Trade" where personal image is
everything.

Brides/grooms are not going to even know what that means. If you want to
> up-market yourself and differentiate, go with something like a Film-only
> package, or something with medium-format film shots for formals, etc. That's
> a look that will make a much bigger difference than anything to do with
> Leica.

The average bride and groom, you are absolutely correct.  However, when
doing the dog-and-pony wedding shows, having a few select shots displayed
which are nearly impossible with other brands, well, who knows...  I'm just
grasping at straws here trying to find some way to justify it.

The fact is, if I wanted a superior rangefinder camera, I'd be getting one
of those new Zeiss Ikon cameras.  Those really are nice.  The viewfinder in
them puts the Leica's to shame in a huge way.  And I do happen to like
Auto-Exposure as an option.

 MF film gear is cheaper than it has ever been.
> Personally I like the Fuji rangefinders, GS670III and GSW690III are my
> current two.

I've thought about that, and I'm not opposed to it. However, at issue is
that my entire setup is now 35mm and digital-based.  Medium-format would
require additional investment in scanning gear.  However, I may very well be
back in the market for 4x5 gear again.  I got all of my dad's old darkroom
equipment and among it is a lot of 4x5 development and contact printing
stuff.

Hmm....  4x5 formals?

AG