[OM] 12 volt battery advice

Subject: [OM] 12 volt battery advice
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 11:20:33 -0400
I have a 12volt, 12 amp hour gel cell battery (like those used in
uninterruptable power supplies) that I use to power my Alien Bee studio
flash units outdoors through a true sine wave inverter.

I checked the battery yesterday under no load and got about 12.5 volts.
  So I put it on the charger overnight (1.5amp) and was surprised to see
that it had only reached 12.85 volts after about 15 hours on the charger
(despite the charger's light saying it's fully charged).  I attached a
couple of lights and fired off 1/2 dozen shots only to hear the inverter
chirping about low battery voltage whenever the lights started to draw
power.  After the 1/2 dozen shots the no-load voltage was already back
down to 12.54 volts.

This battery is about 3 years old but rarely used and rarely charged.
Do you think it's toast?

Chuck Norcutt