[OM] Cranky 4T hot shoe--suggestions?

Subject: [OM] Cranky 4T hot shoe--suggestions?
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 18:01:19 -0400
Whoa,
I thought one had to cover a contact for it to act like a OM-2 or it
defaulted to 1/60 sec in auto?  Yep, I had no film in it just to make
sure everything fired correctly.  Perhaps I need to go back to 4T
school.
Where do you get a test card? Testing macro flash
configurations with light modifiers is easier looking for a green flash
than adjusting for various light loss due to extension with a flash
meter,
IMO.  I need to be careful to let the caps fully come up to power
though.  I burned through some film last time.
Mike

If you did a dry run (that means without film?), shutter WILL lag if
camera is set to auto (camera reads flash off black pressure plate,
shutter stays open). You need test card or dummy film roll loaded for
otf.
___________________________________
John Hermanson  |   CPS, Inc.
21 South Ln., Huntington NY 11743
631-424-2121  |  www.zuiko.com
Olympus OM Service since 1977
Gallery: www.zuiko.com/album/index.html

usher99 [at] aol.com wrote:

This had been a longstanding issue/irritant. Sometimes a T32 even won't
fire but seems to especially misbehave with my T28. This summer the T28
did not fire after much effort with my new Z. 38 macro. I even had an
eraser in my pocket and used it prior. After disassembly of the whole
rig and once again careful cleaning with Ethyl acetate and the
eraser--seemed fine. Finally finished up another roll in the 4T and did
a dry run sans film today of my latest butterfly rig in anticipation of
an upcoming trip home----shutter seemed to lag. I estimated stayed open
like OM-2 for 1/15 sec or so because of insufficient flash. Another
cleaning and it seemed fine again. I had it CLA'd a few months ago and
of course it was on its best behavior when John had it. When I put the
T28 on an OM-2 when it didn't fire on the 4T, it was fine. This guy is
going on flash probation. Otherwise it is fine and there is no visible
issue with the hot shoe.

Any comments appreciated.

Mike