Re: [OM] Zuiko 18 vs. Zeiss et al

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 18 vs. Zeiss et al
From: "Sawyer, Edward" <Ed.Sawyer@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 08:58:10 -0400
> I get a different impression, i.e. that the Zuiko 18mm is horrendously
> expensive on the second-hand market.

Well, not really - it's not cheap, but $800-900 will usually find you one at
any given point. The trick is finding them cheaper than that. Still, $800-900
is cheaper than the competition that might beat it: Zeiss, Leica 19, Canon
16-35LmkII, Canon 17/4 TSE, etc.

I know the Zuiko is sharper in the
> corners than in the centre (still such a deliciously unusual design
> trait)
> but I was wondering how the overall performance compares.

It's not that it's sharper in the corners than the center - the center is
sharper. But the sharpness is very even across the whole frame, so the corners
are effectively sharper than the competition. The zeiss is probably sharper in
the center I think, but the even-ness of the Zuiko is one of the best things
about it. Some tests of various lenses here :

http://www.edsawyer.com/lenstests/

> Anyway - the 18mm is a "one day" (when I have money) lens. Always on
> the
> lookout though...

Keep an eye out. I managed to score 3 at one time, not long ago. I kept one of
them.

http://enigma.unh.edu/edsawyer/oly18/oly18web1.jpg

-Ed