Re: [OM] New E-3 Replacement!

Subject: Re: [OM] New E-3 Replacement!
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 13:13:01 -0500
Does linear mean "limited"?   And the opposite of non-linear would be
"unlimited"?

I ask because I seem to recall several limitations to film. ;*)

I do take your point about the DR in the E-thingies, though.  I was
trying to shoot the sunset recently as we have been having wonderful
late summer sunsets with a big red ball at the end.  Unfortunately,
for the purpose at least, there hasn't been enough humidity to allow
the sun to go red and the foreground values to come up in relation to
it.

If you expose for the sun correctly, those dark foreground areas are,
errh, quite ugly.  At least with film those areas go to a smooth black
(until you try to scan it anyway ...)

Joel W.