[OM] 35mm vs. 28, 24, 21, 20mm

Subject: [OM] 35mm vs. 28, 24, 21, 20mm
From: "DrT \(George Themelis\)" <drt-3d@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 12:09:02 -0400
> my favorite "wide-angle" is 35mm focal length, but that's
> because it's my "wide-normal".  As a "normal" lens, I find 50mm too long
> and 35mm just about right.  35mm is barely a wide-angle.

Yes, same for me.  In the area of stereo photography, the 35mm is the king.
Most vintage stereo cameras had 35mm lenses.  My Konica Hexar based stereo
camera has fixed 35mm lenses.  That's my favorite all-around focal length.

I was surprised that the Olympus OM 35mm f2.8 lens was not easy to find. It
is much easier (and cheaper) to find the 28mm and 50mm lenses.

For wider angle stereo pictures I would use anything from 20-24mm.  I am not
a big fan of wide angle stereo photography.  Pictures look stretched in the
third dimension.  More of a special effect, than all-around stereo
photography.

That said, for my Orlando vacation I had a pair of 20mm lenses in my stereo
camera (in addition to the 35mm Hexar) and  I was surprised how often I used
it and how nice some of these pictures turned out.

George