[OM] Happy Birthday Ben

Subject: [OM] Happy Birthday Ben
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 07:23:18 +1000
I have timed my return to coincide with the 300th birthday of Dr
Johnson, a great man of letters. Recently I had the pleasure of
visiting his childhood home (now a museum) in Lichfield, just down
the road from the home of Erasmus Darwin in fact.
It was sam who wrote the first proper dictionary of the English
language, probably in response to the barbarities inflicted upon it
by the colonies. He was also a man much given to the pleasures of the
flesh, despite girth, age and infirmity (my hero) and who once
offered the following piece of logic (paraphrased) -
The greatest pleasure is sex, the second, drink.
Given that he former is not always available to everyone, it is
astonishing that there are not far more drunkard reeling around the
streets.
(Note for pedants - he didn't actually use the term sex - he was
somewhat more direct).
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.pbase.com/afildes