Re: [OM] Off-topic: Spotted Technorama for a good price

Subject: Re: [OM] Off-topic: Spotted Technorama for a good price
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 11:27:10 -0500

> I think if you were to get an M9, people will finally have something
> more than your 3Ti to lust after :-)

Call it temporary insanity on my part.  I'll eventually get over it...

> That is one EXTREMELY expensive camera,
> and to be honest, I am not always sure if it's be truly the best wedding
> camera (but that's probably for my own reasons) but it would sure be
> amazing.

I'm well beyond the sticker shock.  To put this into perspective, NSURIT
just had equipment stolen that costs far more than the M9 and then some.
Unlike most gearheads, I'd actually be a but more limited in my selection of
lenses.  A 35mm, 90mm and a CV 21 would satisfy quite nicely.  Of course,
that Leica 35mm F1.4 would be tempting, but I'd have to walk to work for two
years.  But then we have to figure in spare equipment.....  There is no end
to it, is there?

> Just a silly question - have you ever actually used an M Leica? If
> not, and since you like film as much as (or perhaps even more than) I do,
> why don't
> you pick up a film M (M3/4/6/7) and play with it for a while? Some things
> are great, other things not so great.

Actually, yes I have.  I dislike RF cameras for some things, but for others
they rule. This has been an evolution of my own photography.  I started out
shooting people and activities, then through my 20's I avoided people
photography with a vengence. Now, I'm bored with most static subjects and
shooting people again.  I've really been attempting to shoot the OMs like
RFs and it's close, but two things keep catching me out:  I can't easily
pre-focus the Zuikos like I can a tabbed lens, and the ultra-fast snick of
the shutter with hair-trigger speed.

Of all the OM's I've ever owned, the OM-3Ti is definitely the most "Leica
Like" of the bunch. Sonically it is different than other OMs, and the
metering system forces you to prethink everything.  The 35mm F2.8 is almost
glued to that camera lately.

I've been trying to pre focus and pre set the camera for raise-and-shoot
style photography and if the last two rolls of film are any indication, I'm
starting to get there.

AG