Re: [OM] More on the 12 volt SLA battery

Subject: Re: [OM] More on the 12 volt SLA battery
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 18:10:49 -0400
Funny you should bring this up.  I have two SP power packs.  One I
bought new from B&H.  The other I bought from a friend who had bought
his from B&H about a year after I did.  I assumed they were the same
design.  My original battery appears to be toast. That design uses a
Panasonic style camcorder battery which simply slides into the bottom of
the case (opposite the control panel) through a little door that slides
open and closed.  It just makes spring pressure contact with electrical
contacts in the case.  Changing the battery can be done in seconds.

When I noticed that my original pack was not working and would not take
a charge I assumed the battery had gone bad (measured only 6.4 volts).
I had successfully charged the second one so decided to swap the fresh
battery from unit #2 into unit #1.  When I got the plastic case out of
its cloth carry case I was surprised that there was no sliding door to
change the battery.  The only way in was to remove 6 screws.  I did
that, peeked in and, not seeing the same battery type closed it back up.
  I didn't check it carefully enough to realize that (as you say) the
battery won't simply lift out... it's attached in some way.

Based on your note below I decided to investigate a bit further and will
tell you what I think.  However, you're going to have to be the guinea
pig since mine is working now and I may need it next week and have no
desire to diddle with it.

Here is what the inside of my unit #2 looks like:
<http://www.chucknorcutt.com/gear/SP%20Systems%20power%20pack>
Although I can't simply lift the battery out it is not held rigidly in
place.  I can rock it back and forth which leads me to believe that it
is held in place with a strip of velcro between case and battery.  I
suspect it's probably about 1" wide and may be the same type that they
use to hold the plastic case still inside the cloth carrying case.

Applying moderate upward pressure I can't get the battery to release
from the (assumed) velcro.  One needs to be able to get under the
battery with a lever and apply gentle pressure to pry it up gradually.
But the case sides and electronics are in the way of doing that.
However, if you take a look at my image link above you'll see two bright
pink arrows pointing out two screw heads.  If you unplug the battery
from its two leads and remove those two screws I think the circuit
boards and (attached) control panel will simply lift straight out of the
case.  Once the circuit boards are out of the way you should be able to
work a simple lever tool under the battery and (gently) pry it up.

I hope yours looks like this and that you'll be the guinea pig and tell
me if I was right since right now I'm unwilling to try taking mine apart.

ps:  I seem to be making some headway in reviving the battery on
original unit #1.  I applied the 6 amp auto charger for several hours
and found that I had raised the no load voltage from about 6.5 to 10.5.
  I then noticed that the original (very low current charger) puts out
18 volts.  So I plugged it in and was pleased to see that it indicated
that it was charging.  Previously it had indicated the battery was fully
charged and did nothing.  At last check the voltage was over 11 volts
and the charge light continues to blink as it should.  Maybe it will
come back to life but I've ordered another just in case.

Chuck Norcutt