Re: [OM] Tribute to Grant Wood

Subject: Re: [OM] Tribute to Grant Wood
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 20:34:15 +1000
Ah yes - but should read him on politics and religion (and
psychology) as well before deciding. :-)
Popper disposed of certainty - we can only know something until such
time it is disproved. Things can be 'probably true' but we can never
be sure because true science offers itself up for constant scrutiny
and possible disproof. It lives dangerously. Consequently, such
disciplines as  sociology, anthropology, political science and
psychology can not be regarded as true sciences as they do not make
clear, potentially refutable statements of fact, open to clear
disproof. They are interpretive.
Kuhn then disposes of any notion of even potential certainty as for
him, objectivity is a myth, available only within the context of an
unstable paradigm. Science of any kind is just another social activity.

Now aren't you all so f***ing glad I came back? :-)

Andrew (don't get me started on aesthetics)Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx