[OM] Erwin Puts vindicates the workflow that I use...

Subject: [OM] Erwin Puts vindicates the workflow that I use...
From: Dawid Loubser <dawidl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 13:43:12 +0200
Hello,

Not sure if you have seen the illustrious (at least not "notorious"
like Ken Rockwell)
Erwin Puts article here:

http://www.imx.nl/photo/technique/page153/page153.html

For the past time (and the foreseeable future), pretty much my only
workflow has been
an all-analogue workflow resulting in B&W silver-gelatin prints, which
I then scan on
an Epson V700 if I wish to post them online. This happens to be the
exact same workflow
Erwin uses to illustrate how 35mm B&W film absolutely trashes a Leica
M8 (and, by definition, the M9, since
its sensor has the same density and basic design) for resolution.

However, what always *kills* me is how these same people made earlier
statements like the
Leica M8 approaching or exceeding medium format film. Thus, they
assert retrospectively that 35mm film approaches
or exceeds medium format film? Now, with exceptionally poor MF lenses
(think Seagull or Holga), and the best Leica lenses, a typical
shot may well compare favourably, but when you're talking Mamiya,
Zeiss or Schneider lenses? Oh please.
I wish these people (including Micheal Reichmann, the worst culprit of
them all in this regard) would more
publicly eat their words. At least the notorious Ken (no, not you
Norton! although perhaps I could have left
the name us unqualified by surname...) has always maintained a stable
stance on the strengths/weaknesses
of film.

Anyway, I do enjoy seeing somebody else vindicating the wonderful all-
analogue workflow. It's more work, but it's
worth it. Just this week-end, I printed a 12x16in of this rather
unusual close-up image of frogs in the dark, lit
solely by the graciously-gifted-from-Clay-Nichols T8 ring flash 2. The
T8 flash is wonderful for reflection-less lighting,
unless of course everything is wet or under water! Here, I tried to
use the reflections to the advantage of the image,
trying to create a surreal look of harsh textures and shapes. Anyway,
it was pitch dark, my little brother held a flashlight
while I composed the image (who needs stinkin' modeling lamps and
their stupid external battery packs?).

"Monotoads"
http://fc00.deviantart.com/fs50/f/2009/261/b/d/Monotoads_by_philosomatographer.jpg
OM-2n, 90/2.0 Macro at f/11, Ilford FP4 @ ISO125, T8 ring flash (TTL
auto)

In a previous life, while the C*non 100 Macro was (more than) up to
the task, digital capture
never had this sort of resolution or dynamic range. Even the harshest
highlights are not blown out, I can
actually see the details of the ring flash in those white areas. And
though only half this image is in sharp
focus, the resolution in the top half is exquisite.

Life is good...

Dawid (still-thankful-for-Clay) Loubser