Re: [OM] Ever think about changing horses?

Subject: Re: [OM] Ever think about changing horses?
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 18:54:53 -0500

> So, I'm talking to a favorite getting place about replacing my e-3 kit and
> while doing so, took a little cruise through their listings of Can#n gear.

As much as it pains me to see you even thinking about going "mainstream",
I'd not discourage you from considering it. If I was in the same boat as
you, I'd probably switch myself.  But my reasons are not your reasons and my
considerations not your considerations.

However, that said... Let's get down to brass tacks. Olympus has going for
it the following:

1. DZ 50-200 and DZ 12-60 (or 14-54 or 14-35).  These are not only of
outstanding quality, but they deliver the goods in a comfortable size, shape
and weight.  Oh, and you haven't tried the DZ 150 F2, have you?  That lens
will keep you in the fold without a doubt. It is easily the finest telephoto
of any brand of any length I've ever used. I'm not sure which I want
more--the Leica M9 or the DZ 150 F2.  I could be convinced to never again
even consider to look elsewhere if I had the DZ 150 F2.  This will be THE
E-system lens to have when you have everything else. I'm told the DZ 300
F2.8 is also like it.  Can you say "Bokeh"?  Yummy Bokeh to rub out some
fellow E-system shooting fellow toting a 150 F2 lens Bokeh.  You ain't seen
Bokeh until you've seen DZ 150 F2 Bokeh.  And sharp enough to cut diamonds
with.

2. Extremely robust build quality in an affordable body.  Shall I show you
pictures of my E-1's recent scars that it received after bouncing off the
driveway?  (don't ask).  The E-1 and E-3 are tanks designed to last a
lifetime.  No babying required.

3. Live-view with twist-n-shout monitor.  You'z get used to that in a hurry.

4. Dust-Buster that works.  Be honest here--do you ever even think twice
about dust?  No?  Well, those days are over bub if you go with something
else.  "They" say that it's "no big deal"...  Yeah right.  It IS a big deal
otherwise you wouldn't still be reading and hearing discussions on the
proper care and feeding of sensors.  It's life as you'll know it. The days
of quiet trust are over.  Don't ever leave home without the Rocket Blower.
I've been shooting digital with the E-1 for how long? And I've never bought
anything to clean the sensor.

5. Big Monster Viewfinder.  The E-3's viewfinder is very very nice.  Even
the 5Dmk2's viewfinder, as big as it is, is like looking at a distant
window. (the apparant focus distance of the focus screen is farther than it
is in the Olympus).

Now, if it was ME having to decide what to get...  I'd get the M9 along with
a film M body and have an E-system for the DSLR stuff.  I feel that until
the 6 or 8 color sensors hit the market (the next battleground for sensor
design), the M9 represents the "I don't need to ever upgrade from this
camera" point.

AG