Re: [OM] NJ fungi

Subject: Re: [OM] NJ fungi
From: "Clay Nichols" <Clay.Nichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 13:05:09 -0400
The white ones on stalks with like flower-like bells (9G10-d/03, 9H01-d/06 and
tok 28-85 (H15/03) are Indian Pipes or Ghost Plants.They do not contain
chlorophyl. They supposedly have a root system and often tap into a neighboring
fungus/mushroom system or the roots of other plants. 9G10-d/12, 9G10-d/17,
9G10-d/20 I believe are from the family Amanita and as such, are poisonous.
9G18-d/01, kiron 28-105 9I04R/04, and z 85/2 9H27/05 look like variations of a
Sulphur Shelf. Probably not poisonous, but I do not recommend eating any wild
mushroom. Some of the high school kids in the area go into cow pastures and
collect mushrooms from the "patties". These are supposed to be hallucinogenic
psilocybin mushrooms. Who knows. Once again, if you want an edible mushroom, go
to the store. I prefer portabellas and morels. Clay
BTW, nice photographs. It must have been a good day on the trail.

>>> Russ Butler <rbinnj@xxxxxxxxxxx> 9/23/2009 12:06 PM >>>
Jim's neat TN fungi crop is just coming in. Our NJ crop was best this
Summer following a wet Spring.

My wife always gives me hell for tasting various stuff in the woods but
even I don't mess with the fungi :-)

http://nfs.nfshost.com/pics/09/fungi09.html

The top 6 were shot with my wife's old SD400 that I've started carrying
around in my pocket. The damn thing really annoyed me early on when
comparing close flower shots with my OM's, as I couldn't beat it on the
real close stuff. Finally sunk in that its tiny lens gives huge dof.

The bottom 3 were shot w/an OM-4 on fuji 400 print film. Scanned raw on
V700. Edited with ImageMagick, photofiltre & neat image.

--
Russ Butler (NJ USA)