Re: [OM] Somebody is holding out on us

Subject: Re: [OM] Somebody is holding out on us
From: Chris Crawford <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 19:26:07 -0400
Jim,

The contrast is due to the lighting. It was an extremely harsh sunny day and
many of the things I shot were backlit or were in the shade with bright
sunlit areas in the background. I also as a rule like my images to have some
contrast. 99% of the black and white photos I see online look like muddy
crap to me because people scan their negs and accept the flat muddy file
that comes out of a film scanner by default. YUCK. My scans from film look
the same as the darkroom prints I made in the old pre-allergy days.

I did shoot another roll the next day, which was a cloudy, overcast day.
They will be lower in contrast because of the flatter light. I actually
developed the sunny day roll (N-1) and they are still contrasty, the light
was just horrid. I much prefer cloudy days, as my website shows. I rarely
shoot on sunny days.

--
Chris Crawford
Fine Art Photography