Re: [OM] picasa vs iphoto

Subject: Re: [OM] picasa vs iphoto
From: "siddiq@xxxxxxx" <siddiq@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 11:36:51 -0700
On Sep 25, 2009, at 11:32 AM, Chris Barker wrote:

> Acer
>
> I have never noticed iPhoto softening images, either RAW or JPG
> files.  Do you allow the application to store the image files?  I keep
> the files in my own storage system and merely use iPhoto to import the
> ones I want to catalogue.

It softens them whenever I use the straighten tool. In all iterations
of iPhoto from iLife 06/08/09. I used to use iPhoto to catalog, and
pick and choose photos, move them a machine with Adobe CS to edit
(mainly levels, straighten, resize) because I didn't like the dumbed
down iPhoto controls.

> Picasa is a great tool for finding photos on a hard drive and it looks
> good on the screen, but it is pretty poor at making shots better, in
> my view.  There are fewer options for adjustment compared with iPhoto.
>
> You might want to have a look a Aurora or LightZone from
> LightCrafts.com ...

Want to to give Pixelmator a try, OS X only, looks good. Will play
around with the others. There's aways CS4 on the work machine (totally
overkill though).