Re: [OM] (OM) once again, digital vs film

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) once again, digital vs film
From: "Clay Nichols" <Clay.Nichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2009 14:19:22 -0400
Put a new needle on the phonograph. Frank Sinatra is going to sing "Fly Me to
the Moon."
 I feel my arteries hardening as I punch keys.

>>> "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 09/27/09 11:39 AM >>>
Not in the nature of a complaint so much as observations.

I have spent quite a lot of time in the past week taking photos, using both
film (that new gear :-)) ) and digital..

I really like the control over the process that using film gives. Even though I
wait with some trepidation to find out if I have been using exterior
viewfinders more or less accurately (Bessa L & Obsession 617).

With the OM slrs, I can actually see the zone of focus (split-screen
viewfinder) and the depth of field. With digital, one is at the mercy of the
camera electronics, and really left in the dark, so to speak. The DOF and
zone of focus seem to be a matter of guess-work.

Then, there's the matter of white balance. With the E-1 this seldom was a
problem. I wish I could say the same for the E-3 and 510. Much less of a
problem with film.

Brian Swale.