Re: [OM] (OM) once again, digital vs film

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) once again, digital vs film
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 09:25:37 -0500

> I have settled (for now) on doing all my prints as split-grade prints
> using my colour head, which seems to provide
> a contrast range geater than the standard filters I've been suing,
> even if fiddling with C,M,Y adjustment wheels get
> annoying. But it's like I have an imaginary grade 6 and 7 also with
> the super-rich Magenta this head delivers, and
> split-grade generally relies on an overlay of two extreme contrast
> grades (well, my style does, anyway - not sure if
> it's always "right").

You will want to convert to using Ilford Multigrade filters.  The colour
head is unable to give you a solid Grade V.  The under-lens filters are. It
is also MUCH quicker to slip in the 00 and V filters in the holder than it
is to spin the adjustment wheels.  Another reason to switch over to the
under-lens filters is focus-shift.  Even with the better lens optics you
will have a slight focus shift between your two grades.  I like the colour
head for the type of light (diffusion), but the wheel spinning gets old in a
hurry.

> When I ever do go digital in a big way again (maybe a couple of years,
> and when I have the $$$) it will be difficult to
> choose a system that comes close to the OM system, that's for sure.
> Four Thirds is out for me. Canon / Nikon is so
> huge (bodies, lenses). Pentax etc. are a bit misguided IMHO, and poor
> on cool lenses / accessories. Hmm....
>
> Nope, nothing compares to the OM system for the moment.

I'm with you there.  I'm very much in the hunt for a new digital and there
is only ONE camera on the market right now that interests me in the least
and it's not going to happen any time soon. So, it is an ugly state I'm in
knowing that nothing I buy is going to satisfy me.

AG