[OM] ( OM ) Filters and DZ lenses

Subject: [OM] ( OM ) Filters and DZ lenses
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 00:46:43 +1300
In the last few months I have for the first time come to really appreciate
sunglasses when I'm driving. I typically do 600Km in a day twice in every
month; and finally also I found a pair which nicely fit over my prescription
spectacles.  They really take away the visual stress from summer driving.

I did 600 km today in my little Starlet (on a targetted photo day) and for the
sunny part of the day they made life so much easier.

These are some kind of acrylic resin as far as I can tell. "UV 400 Solar Safe"

One aspect of them I like is what they do to what I see (don't laugh !! ).

Clouds appear to have more internal contrast and look MUCH more
interesting than when unfiltered. Also the glare is taken away from them
which would be a big + for digital.  The landscape also takes on a slight
tobacco filter hue and to my eyes looks a lot nicer.

Typically, "fine day" light in New Zealand is bright and crystal shiny and blue.

I bought one pair specifically to use with the DZ 14-45 (the 14-54 has too
much diameter), and the first shots had too much brown.

I'm tempted to try a couple of filters stacked - UV, and something such as
81B or 81C.  I suspect that the anti-UV component of the sunglasses has a
lot to do with the removal of the glare from the clouds. But I don't know (or
will guess at) what adds contrast to the clouds.

All and any ideas welcome.

I may post some pics later, to illustrate.

Brian Swale.