Re: [OM] Photographing Police Officers - Clarification from No10

Subject: Re: [OM] Photographing Police Officers - Clarification from No10
From: Philippe Amard <philippe.amard@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 21:30:07 +0200
Clay Nichols wrote:

>I was in Paris earlier this year and it was the police inside a van that were
>photographing tourists. I must admit that I did not try to assert any right to
>privicy. These dudes were toting automatic weapons.
>Clay

http://tinyurl.com/yaqdll4
I don't know if your French extends further than 'fetchez la vache' but
in short it says that the French equivalent of the Law Lords, or
upcoming Supreme Court of the UK, states that these policemen, if they
took snaps of you,  were (most certainly) not acting legally as it
requires a warrant from an instructing judge (different system here) who
is the only person to decide if there are grounds to at least suspect
you (if not charge you as the CPS later would in England & Wales), which
is a prerequisite for breaching European legislation on privacy (ECHR).
As to the weapons, I also prefer cameras and long lenses for fox
hunting  ;-)
And I'm happy I can resume snapping happily in the UK.
Phx