[OM] (OM) OT Panorama cameras

Subject: [OM] (OM) OT Panorama cameras
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2009 00:26:53 +1300
Dawid Loubser wrote

> Hmm - either you have really, really high standards, or something is
> wrong?
>
> The first time I laid eyes on the 6x17cm slides I got back from my
> Linhof Technorama,
> it was a revelation - I knew instantly there and then that film was  for
> me, and I could not find words for the overwhelmed feeling, the ability to
>  capture a scene with such impeccable richness, accuracy, depth, and field
> of view.
 One
> rather tends  to resort to crazy superlatives, such as the Schneider
> Super-Angulon XL 90mm lens  infusing the photons flowing through it with a
> reach tea of hyper-real magical  goodness.
>
> etc.
>
> :-)
Because I wrote

> On 30 Sep 2009, at 7:56 AM, Brian Swale wrote:
>
> > I have just got back the first 4 rolls of film from my Obsession 617
> > camera, and first indications are that it is OK.

Just me being cautious, Dawid.  I don't have my new Epson V700 scanner
set up and can't find my magnifying glass right now. A far as I can see with
the naked eye they look OK, but rest assured, I do hope they have
magnificent definition.   But I'm not going to say at this point in time they
are
really great, then have to eat my words. My naked eye is better than you
might think - I'm shortsighted, but for really close viewing I take my glasses
off, and right there my best eye is a great magnifier :-)

I also have to improve my metering; and the lens shutter speeds, especially
the slower ones, seem to be slower than they should be.  All something to
get used to.

By the way, the lens on my Obsession 617 is a Rodenstock Granadon
115mm.  The rear element is quite a way out from the film plane (about
80mm) which makes it rather large.
This brings a very real and unexpected benefit - a saving of about $1,000 in
any currency, because unlike with the Schneider Super-Angulons, this lens
does NOT need a centre filter. There is no drop-off at the ends (not the
correct terminology I know but the word escapes me at the moment) .

Julian, the really knowledgeable guy in charge of processing at Photo &
Video warned me to be careful to not knock this lens - he said the front
element tends to separate into its components ... ...

BTW, I had a great set of prints back from my OM4Ti. I thought the lab must
have been re-calibrated or something, so I congratulated Julian on the
improved results. he said "no, there's nothing to calibrate - it's all stock
standard - it must have been you ... ".  Somehow I don't believe all that
because for a start the colours were improved (same film), and as far as I
know I have been using the same technique.

Brian Swale.