[OM] White-balance / colour balance issues... What to do?

Subject: [OM] White-balance / colour balance issues... What to do?
From: Olaf Greve <ogreve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 16:26:22 +0200
Hi all,

It's been a long while since I last posted to the list for anything
not-TOPE related, but here goes, a question...:P

At present I find myself temporarily without my own laptop, so I have to
make do with a loan machine, but at least I can read my e-mail again.

Now then, the question regards something I've been experiencing ever
since I've aqcuired my E-500. The issue is that I've set the White
Balance to 'Auto', yet, very often I find the colours displeasing, and
almost always, the pictures are greatly improved, and look much more
like they should look, when I use options like Paint Shop Pro's "One
Step Photo Fix", or Photoshop's equivalent of it (of which I don't
remember the exact name, off-hand). Though the end result on most
pictures can be tidied up a lot by doing so, I find this very annoying,
as it's time-consuming, surely not perfect, and I want the camera itself
to be smart enough to not always be so far off. Last weekend I came
across an extreme example when taking close-up shots of some big brass
shell casings, against a white paper background, using the E-500 + OM->E
Adapter ring + 50/3.5 Zuiko Macro + FL-50r (with the diffuser on it).
Apart from some nasty shadows, which of course can be (largely)
eliminated by using reflectors, or finding a way to bounce the flash, I
found the end results very displeasing. Some pictures had come out
almost black; really WAY too dark at least... Using the "one step photo
fix" gave a HUGE reprieve, but still...

Can anyone tell me if there are any ways to go about solving these
issues? Is this something on the camera that's not set properly, or
perhaps something going wrong with the adapter ring (though I see
similar things happen when using E lenses), or something in combination
with the flash????

Also, are there perhaps anyways that one can kind of "debug" this using
the comnputer's software like PSP or CS4? Perhaps viewing some of the
histograms, a tell-tale histogram appears or so???

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Olafo