Re: [OM] White-balance / colour balance issues... What to do?

Subject: Re: [OM] White-balance / colour balance issues... What to do?
From: Philippe Amard <philippe.amard@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 21:09:12 +0200
Olaf
JPEG is an Oly-techs' interpretation of the data collected by the sensor
(mind you, I'm not syaing it is bad at all, but it is averaged to a
variety of users and situations and not necessarily adapted to your
specific needs).
RAW, or ORF in Olygloss, is more or less what the sensor has recorded,
plain vanilla, not additives. Then, from this score, the interpretation
is yours.

As stated by others (Hi Jim !) you can adjust many parameters. Much more
than with JPEGs. And to a certain extent, it doesn't show, well at least
not as much as when you start from a JPEG.
My wife has got an E400 and an E510, it has taken me a loooong time to
get her to shoot .orf along with jpegs. She thought she was gaining
space; but was in fact losing data and details ...
My own cam does not record RAW only, but RAW+JPEG, so when I download my
takes, I immediately dump the JPEGs as they waste disk space.
Then I start having fun with the "negs" in LR (could be CSx too).

If you have ever enjoyed the pleasure of the darkroom experience, then
dotorf is for you.
Else , set the WB for a particular shoot, and forget about it all.

Hope this gives you a clearer idea of what the stakes are.
Phx