Re: [OM] White-balance / colour balance issues... What to do?

Subject: Re: [OM] White-balance / colour balance issues... What to do?
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 08:08:16 +1000
RAW records absolutely everything that the camera sensor can see,
allowing you to apply your own settings later (I use Lightroom and
love it) and recover details in shadows and highlights so long as
they are there.
In JPEG the camera applies the settings you've specified and discards
all other information.
The best example I have this week - I wanted to see what the Leica
M9's black and white setting was like - when I opened the images in
Lightroom they were in colour because the DNG (RAW) file held all the
information available - I'd forgotten I had the camera set to DNG
+JPEG Fine when shooting so I had to go find the JPEG to see the
camera's B&W settings. If I'd been shooting JPEGs, the colour
information would have been discarded.
As to white balance - it's like having the perfect auto WB. In
Lightroom or any other RAW file reader, you just adjust the slider to
any temperature you wish.

Shoot RAW, buy big cards.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx