Re: [OM] Trip to California

Subject: Re: [OM] Trip to California
From: "Jeff Keller" <om-list@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 18:08:55 -0700
If you are traveling soon your timing probably isn't very good. Towards LA
there are some very nice springtime flower spots. I've seen fantastic
springtime photos from Gorman. (similar to
http://www.desertusa.com/wildflo/ca.html )

The California Poppy Preserve is surely far from its peak and located
significantly east of 5 but ...
http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=627

There are good migratory bird spots out in the central valley but you're too
early. Gray Lodge which is too far north is pretty unattractive most of the
year but when the geese are there it can be pretty amazing.
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/lands/wa/region2/graylodge/index.html

I headed south a couple years ago to check out some of the wildlife areas
near Los Banos hoping they would be like Gray Lodge. My timing was off and
it was very disappointing. At the right time of the right year many of the
wildlife areas can be very worthwhile but otherwise about as attractive as
semi-abandoned farm land.

The DFG website at http://www.dfg.ca.gov/lands/wa/index.html will give you
some names of places to look up.

Guessing from your comments you'll be in Kern County
http://www.parks.ca.gov/parkindex/results.asp?searchtype=4&county_id=15&sear
chtext=Kern
or Fresno County (which only has Millerton Lake listed under state parks so
maybe street photography?)
http://www.parks.ca.gov/parkindex/results.asp?searchtype=4&county_id=10&sear
chtext=Fresno

Your trip is probably too early for fall colors nor does California come to
mind when you think fall colors.
http://www.calphoto.com/fall.htm

In addition to Jim's mention of Yosemite, King's Canyon is good whenever you
can get into it. It doesn't take much hiking to get high into the Sierras.
But "not far or reasonable drive" by California standards often includes a
200 mile radius. ;-)

Jeff Keller