Re: [OM] 80 macro, etc.

Subject: Re: [OM] 80 macro, etc.
From: "Sawyer, Edward" <Ed.Sawyer@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 09:26:55 -0400
Well, don't read too much into it. Is it without peer? Not likely. I am sure
the Coastal Optics 60 macro beats it, as does many others most likely. It was a
good lens, but not a world-beater. It was priced reasonably when new, so
clearly had to have some compromises built into the design. I would think the
Apo Rodagon 75/4 enlarger lens would be better. Klaus (a guy in Germany, active
on many manual focus forums) has about the best macro collection in the world,
and could likely give more info on how it stacks up. (He may even be on this
list? I am not sure).

All the Oly macros are good, no doubt. There's some overlap of functionality
between them. But really, let's not go overboard on presuming it to be the
world's best lens in that focal length.  If you can get one cheap,  it's worth
having. Generally they don't command crazy money, $200-ish or so for the ones
I've seen change hands lately.

-Ed