Re: [OM] Raw conversion for Olympus files?

Subject: Re: [OM] Raw conversion for Olympus files?
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 20:41:29 -0500

> I usually keep Sat at 0 and the picture at "Natural" rather than
> "Vivid" (talking E-3 and E-410).  Is this what you mean by "back off
> the intensity"?

Yup.

I think I picked up a lot of my tricks from you, which is why it has
> surprised me at times that you have been catting around with all these
> non-Olympus converters. <g>

I'm constantly experimenting and learning. Some people get the impression
that I'm just a stick-n-the-mud or techno-recalcitrant, but the bulk of that
is budget induced tightwaddedness, not some attempt at moral high-ground.
Once in a while I end up actually learning something new. The engineer in me
is looking for ways to constantly improve what is there instead of just
buying new stuff.  So that's why I'm catting around with other converters.

Most of what you say here suggests that you are pretty much a jpg
> shooter in principle who shoots RAW only for insurance purposes.  I do
> think I understand you better, brother.  If I were to do events, I
> would be inspired to do what you have done, too.  I think you also
> identify the weakness of a lot of us 100% RAW shooters who don't
> bother with some important things in the way we shoot because it can
> always be "fixed" through RAW conversion.

I'm shooting RAW like it is JPEG. The idea is to get it as close as possible
in-camera so I just do a mass batch convert using in-camera settings. I'm
comfortable enough with my settings that I can shoot JPEG without fear if I
have to and do when I'm doing high-volume shooting or something that gets
handed off to somebody. Many of the events I shoot need JPEGs and I can
shoot in-camera HQ images which average 1.4MB each and just churn and burn.

But landscapy type stuff, yeah, I shoot RAW and tweak like everybody else.

OT -- there's such a thing as a "teen key"?  Does it take a couple
> cylinders offline and cause the horn to toot when it is occupied and
> the wheels aren't moving?

Also known as a valet key. It'ls designed to prevent a "Ferris Bueller's Day
Off" scenario.

AG