Re: [OM] Velvia Mood

Subject: Re: [OM] Velvia Mood
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 04 Oct 2009 07:25:41 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Then you should try a Canyon 5D and Adobe Camera Raw instead!
> Technology has moved on.

Yes. And yet ... The 300D has worked very well with ACR from the
beginning. I have many favorite images from it. As is so often the case,
time, place, subject and light are unique and I can't "top" them with
the 5D later, even in the same place. For example, we returned to Steep
Falls this trip. The flow and light were different. I got some nice
images, but they will add something different to some of the previous
300D images, rather than replacing them.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/SteepFalls/>

I've never much liked Canon's RAW converter, DPP, but that may be at
least in part because I have hardly used it, so don't know it. In
Canon's favor, the software that comes with their camera is extensive,
stable, well written in the technical sense, and includs things like an
app for tethered operation and endless upgrades are free.

I had the opportunity to shoot a couple of images with my lens on a
5DII. To convert the RAW images, I simply downloaded the latest DPP.

I still have my 300D, it still works fine and is along for the ride as
back-up.

Moose