Re: [OM] Pentamirror vs. pentaprism

Subject: Re: [OM] Pentamirror vs. pentaprism
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2009 17:57:10 -0400
A 14mm lens at f/5.6 on a 4/3 sensor is at hyperfocal distance at 7
feet.  At 18mm and f/8 you get hyperfocal at 8 feet.  At 25mm and f/11
you get hyperfocal at 11-1/4 feet.  At 25mm and f/11 you can even focus
as close as 7 feet and get everything in focus from about 4-1/3 to 18
feet. Just pre-focus manually at an appropriate distance and apply
enough flash and ISO boost and forget about focusing.

I have used the Mynolta A1 to shoot in areas so dark that I can hardly
see the subject let alone have the camera be able to focus.  But the
short focal length on small sensor cameras leads to great depth of field
which we can make use of with hyperfocal methods and enough auxiliary
light.  I remember the first time I tried it I got much better results
on the A1 than my partner shooting with a 20D... which also couldn't see
to focus very well.

Dr Focus, alter ego of Dr. Flash