Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 05/10/2009: Brussels autumn weather

Subject: Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 05/10/2009: Brussels autumn weather
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 12:22:05 +0100
Thanks, Nathan.  I accept your recommendation for Brussels.  I had
some bad experiences both in Brussels and at SHAPE; I find that a
multinational organisation, such as NATO and the EU, allow for too
many mediocre performers, allowed to remain in the interests of
diplomacy and goodwill.  For instance, there was one general at my HQ
in Brunssum, an administrator by branch, who did virtually nothing,
but he had to be there to allow that nation to have its fair share.

I left AFNORTH thinking that the EU was a waste of time and money; the
invasion of Iraq changed that for me, but we really do have to control
the budget and accountability ..

Chris