Re: [OM] NY & New England - 2009 [was OT: Nobel Prize]

Subject: Re: [OM] NY & New England - 2009 [was OT: Nobel Prize]
From: Russ Butler <rbinnj@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 19:03:11 -0400
Moose wrote:
> Russ Butler wrote:
>> Moose wrote:
>> ... Were you looking for something more postcard beautiful?
>> <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=NorthEast_2009/MtDesert&image=_MG_7928ia.jpg>
>>

>> Not, by the way, a marked or named scenic spot, but not hidden, either.
>>
>> Moose
>>
>> Beautiful shot.
>>

> Thanks!
>
>> (but there are a few blown pixels. Not to worry though, there's a guy
>> that hangs out on this list that will probably fix it up for you :-).
>>

> Are you sure? Looking at it on a non-color aware browser? I set it so
> the very thin high end of the histogram just kissed the top, so there
> should only be a very few pixels at 255 in any color, let alone a pure
> white. Here's a small set of histograms from three applications.
> <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Tech/Misc&image=_MG_7928iahistg.jpg>
>
> FastStone seems to think it doesn't quite touch the end. IrfanView
> thinks there are no pixels in the top few slots. CS3, which is what I
> edited in, says it just kisses the top.

I made the comment about blown pixels in jest though raw therapee and
smart curve (a plugin) show a few clipped highlights. I surely couldn't
"see" that from a histogram and certainly not by eye.

It would take a helluva lot more clipping to degrade that image, which
is lovely and very rich, especially in aRGB.

--
Russ Butler (NJ USA)