Re: [OM] Hi, I'm Moose and I ... [was Parker 51]

Subject: Re: [OM] Hi, I'm Moose and I ... [was Parker 51]
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 11:57:45 +0100
And what a confession, Moose!
On 13 Oct 2009, at 10:43, Moose wrote:

> As the thread won't die, I suppose I might as well make my own
> confession.

snip
> With pens, I've been an accumulator for most of my adult life,
> although
> in fits and starts. No plan, no organization, the occasional
> surprise as
> one surfaces that I didn't remember having and puzzlement when I can't
> find one I'm sure I had.
>
> I've gone through phases of looking for the perfect writing instrument
> and others of buying what has a visual and/or tactile appeal to me.
My cheap Rotrings are the best writers, although my latest Capless
Decimo is pretty good.  A Cross pen serves me well, but since I don't
write often with it, it clogs.

> Of those mentioned already, I have a Parker 51, probably 50s, that
> works
> fine and writes well, a couple of 75s. both beautiful and one a great
> writer. I have a few Sheaffers, from a 50s snorkel, which works but I
> don't like much for writing, through a smaller, cartridge repro of the
> early big, lever fill ones, very smoooth, and a recent, pointy ended,
> brown fleck model.

I inherited my mother's gold-plated Sheaffer, a turny-end thing, but
it doesn't really fill properly.

> Several Montblancs. I tend to agree with Bob that they are overrated
> as
> to actual construction quality. The giant cigar type has an amazing
> nib,
> but a design flaw that lets it break and leak easily - feh. A few from
> the 60-70s with a look I like, but less than first rate materials and
> construction. One much older one that writes beautifully when dipped,
> but needs the piston filler mechanism fixed.

I was given my Montblanc by our parish priest who had won it in a
raffle; I like the nib and the balance, but the colour (maroon/
burgundy) is not my style.  It lives in its box for the most part.
Pelikan were always cheap school-use pens from my childhood, so I
never really fancied them.
> I've always meant to get a good Pelican, but somehow the
> appearance/price ratio has never been right. The steel nibbed student
> model I have is a terrific value, a very smooth writer, if a bit
> boring,
> as it's stiff.

snip

> My current favorite daily use ink is Noodler's "Nightshade". Black at
> first, sometimes second, glance, but coming toward black from deep
> red/purple, rather than having the more common gray, blue or other
> shades. Nice and smooth, with little bleeding in the papers I use, it
> suits me very well at the moment.

I might have a look for Noodler as well as Havana.

> I also use Parker Quink, Waterman and Lamy blacks, Pelikan Royal Blue
> and Herbin Diabolo Menthe green. For brown, the Herbin perfumed
> Tabac is
> fun, but I prefer the look of Waterman Havane. I'm lucky to have a
> local
> shop that stocks quite a few inks and maintains a sample book they
> make
> themselves. One can see actual samples on paper and take a dip
> sample of
> any ink in stock. Much better than any brochures or online color
> samples.
>
> An Inky Moose

Chris