Re: [OM] A new born baby

Subject: Re: [OM] A new born baby
From: Charles Geilfuss <charles.geilfuss@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 13:28:33 -0400
Michael,
  Well "western countries" covers a lot of territory so you may get a lot of
answers. In these parts (south eastern USA) women who are pregnant usually
have a party thrown for them a month or so before the baby is born. This is
usually given by family and/or friends with gifts of a more practical nature
for raising a baby. These parties are customarily attended by women but men
are not excluded, just hard to catch. This may have changed but was the case
when people my age now (55) were starting families. After the baby is born
there are usually informal family gatherings with grandmothers offering a
lot of help and advice and grandfathers making sure there is a lot of beer
in the fridge (for emergencies of course).

Charlie (who ain't raising any more babies)