Re: [OM] No E-System pro camera until 2010 ;( - Now xD vs CF

Subject: Re: [OM] No E-System pro camera until 2010 ;( - Now xD vs CF
From: Ian Nichols <ian.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 09:38:26 +0100
2009/10/15 Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Chuck Norcutt wrote:
>> I second Ian on this point.  Most built-in readers have a USB interface
>> which is relatively slow.  Pay a few bucks for an Expresscard CF reader. My
>> 4 or 5 year old laptop manages to hit about 10-12 MB/sec with a cheap
>> Expresscard reader.  I think I paid $7 for it.
>>

> It's not USB that's slowing things down in this case, but the readers.
> My cheapie (< $7.) little USB 2.0 HS reader averages over 20 MB/sec,
> with a fast CF card.
>
> The ExpressCard interface is probably faster than USB 2.0 HS, but USB
> isn't the bottleneck in this case.

I'm actually quite happy with the speed of a cheap & cheerful USB CF
reader that I use with my desktop PC, but for the laptop I didn't want
to have to carry another gadget around (it's another thing to forget
to take), especially not one that sticks precariously out of the side
in use.  The expresscard reader doesn't stick out at all, and the the
inserted card only sticks out a few mm and is held quite firmly.

--
Stand firm for what you believe in, until and unless logic and experience
prove you wrong.  Remember: when the emperor looks naked, the emperor *is*

-Daria Morgendorffer