Re: [OM] Chuck's gettin' better

Subject: Re: [OM] Chuck's gettin' better
From: Candace Lemarr <CandaceRocks@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 12:13:08 -0600
   Ahh, I see.
   Thank you for the update.
   Even though it wasn't your intended plan, I agree with you in that it
   was probably for the best to have one good leg to stand on whilst the
   other recovers.
   So, is the plan now to recover and then have the other knee worked on?
   I once knew a woman who was advised to have carpal tunnel surgery. On
   both wrists. She, along with her doctor, opted to do both wrists at
   the same time.
   Foolish woman! It was quite a long time before she could even go to
   the bathroom alone, not to mention do basic things like feeding
   herself. I'll never forget how that "worked out" for her.
   Not so well.

Candace

   Chuck Norcutt wrote:

The doctor never wanted to do two knees at once in the first place.  But
he said he would provided I was in good health which meant seeing a
cardiologist for an exam and stress test (re: my triple bypass 10 years
ago).  The day before the surgery I got the results of the test which
showed "restricted uptake near the bottom of the heart" and, in all
probability, some re-blockage of the right coronary artery bypass.  We
agreed that, since I haven't experienced any angina, there is probably
some degree of angiogenesis there.  I thought it was all settled until I
got to the hospital for surgery and the surgeon showed me what the
cardiologist had written... "estimated 3 times risk of death from heart
attack for bilateral knee replacement over single knee replacement".  He
said either one knee or none... my choice.  Not much else you can do
when sitting on the gurney other than agree.

I was terribly frustrated since I think the cardiolgist's statement was
a very garbled rewording and misunderstanding of some research I did
myself and showed the good doctor re the outcomes of some 6,000 knee
replacements covering single, bilateral and staged bilateral over 4,000
patients.  But that wasn't worth squat to the surgeon.  But in the end
I'm glad he refused to go with two.  I can't imagine how I would have
been able to get around and make the progress I have with no good knee
to stand on.  :-)

ps: for reasons not understood, people who have bilateral replacment
tend to live longer and by a statistically significant margin.

Chuck Norcutt