Re: [OM] OT Binoculars

Subject: Re: [OM] OT Binoculars
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 12:11:14 -0700
Jim Couch wrote:
> I know virtually nothing about binoculars and my wife is wanting a pair. We
> are looking for something relatively inexpensive and fairly compact. We will
> primarily be using it to watch birds while I am out doing photography. Any
> suggestions as to types, brands, whatever would be most appreciated.

Inexpensive, compact and bird watching are pretty incompatible. The
qualities that make for good birding binocs are very high quality optics
and at least medium size objectives. None of the little pairs of tubes
joined by a double hinged bridge that they can fold under for compact
storage, even the very expensive brands, are decent for birds. They tend
to have inappropriate combinations of objective size and magnification,
leading to small exit pupils, poor brightness and clarity and difficulty
holding them steady enough for birding.

Birds tend to put themselves in difficult to see positions. Once a
girlfriend and I were looking for hummingbirds in S. Arizona where there
are several species not seen elsewhere in the US. Up in a tree was a
bird, silhouetted against bright light. With the B&L Elites, I could
make out enough detail in the bird to identify it as a Lucifer
Hummingbird, which neither of us had ever seen. With her medium price
roof prism binocs, it was just a black silhouette against the sky. Size,
shape and bill shape were suggestive, but we could not have really
confirmed the sighting with them.

The classic beginning birding binocular is 7x35. Magnification in the
'consumer' binocular market is a little like megapixels in cameras, a
marketing point - bigger is better - that doesn't translate into
increased performance in use. Very few birders will go beyond 8x in hand
held optics, and if so, only with larger objectives, and thus, larger,
heavier binocs.

It is easier and cheaper to make conventional prism binocs of the same
image quality as roof prisims. If you want water/dust proof sealing,
though, you have to go with roofs.

If you want reasonably small and light, OK, if not great, for birding,
but good for general "looking around" and just wonderful for amazing
close-up capability, take a look at the Pentax Papilios, specifically
the 6.5x21 model. I believe Dean said using them was like having a good
binocular microscope in the field, but with much better working distance.

Binocular design has been for decades an exercise in small, incremental
improvements on a couple of classic designs. The Papilios are a real
conceptual and practical break with tradition and a joy to use in
practice. We have quite a few binoculars in the house, including a
really serious set of birders, B&L Waterproof Elite 8x40s, the old
birder's classics of the past, Leitz 8x35Bs, Nikon porro prism 8x35s and
10x20 Travelites, etc., etc.

I don't carry binocs when out photographing, but the ones my dear
companion always carries when out with me are the Papilios. Because of
the small objectives the design requires, I would stay away from the
8.5x model. 6.5 is close as never mind to the classic 7x. More mag just
means dimmer image, fussier eye placement and eye relief.

For a larger, more serious birder's binocular at a reasonable price, I
know there are several good choices out there. I'm out of touch with
recent developments in the market, so know little about specific models.
At it happens, I just looked into some that a friend asked about. Her
compact 10x20, small objective, high mag pair were driving her crazy
trying to look at birds.

She was looking at Nikon Monarchs. Unfortunately, the finest binocular
tester isn't doing it any more, but from what I could find, the Monarchs
look like an excellent, reasonably priced choice. Again, I'd say the
lower mag, 8x, and for size/weight, 8x36 should be an excellent choice
for what you want.

Binocular Vision Moose