[OM] ( OM ) Filters for digital

Subject: [OM] ( OM ) Filters for digital
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 11:11:04 +1300
Hi all,

I asked a while ago if anybody else had noticed that UV driving glasses
really improve the appearance of clouds in landscapes, and if this indication
had been acted upon.

I have tried slipping my glasses in front of my DZ lenses, and the result has
been sufficiently encouraging for me to order a suitable-sized colour
correction filter to try and simulate the effect using stacked UV and CC
filters. I already have the UV filter which I have seldom used except as a
lens protector, but now I am convinced it could really be an image enhancer.
Clouds get greater detail, are less blown-out, and have more internal
contrast which makes them more attractive - to my eyes anyway.

In addition, I and a friend from away back were talking about this general
topic and he came up with another idea which he uses to good effect in a
specific situation.

Landscape photographers where I live may easily find themselves
photographing valleys in mountainous places where there is a U-shaped
valley, a stream below, and rather dark valley sides which go right to the top
of the frame.  Often the view is against the sun.  Normally, the digital
camera treatment of this situation is for the bright sky/clouds in the U to be
properly exposed, and the valley sides and floor of the valley including any
stream, to be grossly underexposed.

My friend Dave has started using a neutral graduated (grad) filter and the
results are a great improvement in the exposure of the valley floors in
particular, and a corresponding beneficial darkening of the very bright
sky/clouds contained in the U of the valley.  When I can get a suitable
adapter ring made for my much neglected AMBICO filter set including boxy
filter-holder - lens shade, I will try the same.

Brian Swale.