Re: [OM] A new born baby

Subject: Re: [OM] A new born baby
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 21:59:09 +1300
Congratulations Michael,

A very special time.

Frank van Lindert wrote:

> I forgot to add that the parents offer the 'beschuit met muisjes' to
> their colleagues at work as well, at the first working day after the
> birth has taken place.
> I had to prepare about 200 at my office when my son was born... but
> fortunately our department secretaries offered to help me.
 27 years ago my first-born (daughter) was born. My then wife is Dutch, and
I did exactly the same for office staff of about 60.

Very new for New Zealand, but all enjoyed them and many still remember
the experience. Muisjes are sugar-coated aniseed seeds with a little stalk,
so with the pointy pear-shape they have and the little tail of a stalk, they
look
like tiny mice (jes is the diminutive).

Beschuit are round, slightly sweet, thick but extremely light biscuits that
look
somewhat like the winter food we have here called "crumpet". (No - not that
other sort, for those whose minds wandered !!)

Brian Swale.