Re: [OM] OT Binoculars

Subject: Re: [OM] OT Binoculars
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 15:58:11 -0500
Many years ago, I bought a pair of compact folding Minolta binocs.  My only
regret was not getting the other model...  But the size has meant that they
go with me whereas a large pair would be problematic.  That said, I've
always liked the 7x50 for being on a boat, but 8x was just a bit better for
me.  I used to use a pair of zoom 7-12x binocs and felt that they were
better for birding but difficult to hold. Anything beyond 10x is jittery
enough that it makes it difficult to read things.

You can get lighter-weight binocs today and if weight is a concern I'd
consider it.

The field-of-view is much more important than magnification for most uses.
When on a boat, it is very important because in choppy water it is difficult
to hold them steady enough to read/identify things in the distance like the
identifier on a boey.

Which reminds me... I need to tear mine apart again to fix a shifted lens
element.

AG